General information

 
     

 

The Kórnik Library of the Polish Academy of Sciences

 address:

Biblioteka Kórnicka PAN
Zamkowa 5
62-035 Kórnik
POLAND  (EUROPE)

phone: 

+48  61 817 00 81

fax: 

+48  61 817 19 30

e-mail: 

bkpan@bkpan.poznan.pl

Department of the Kórnik Library – The Działyński Palace in Poznań

 address:

Biblioteka Kórnicka PAN
Pałac Działyńskich
Stary Rynek 78/79
61-772 Poznań
POLAND  (EUROPE)

phone: 

+48  61 852 48 44

fax: 

+48  61 851 70 96

e-mail: 

palacdzialynskich@bkpan.poznan.pl


The Kórnik Library is situated in a castle in the town of Kórnik, 20 km south from Poznań. Poznań is the capital city of Wielkopolska region in western part of Poland, Europe.

The Library was founded by count Tytus Działyński in the year of 1828. From the beginning it was a humanistic library. However, count Jan Działyński, Tytus’ son and the following owner of the library, was also interested in mathematics, physics and astronomy. The last owner of the library general Władysław Zamoyski in 1924 made a donation of his whole property (including library) to the Polish nation.

After World War II in 1953 the Kórnik Library was incorporated into the Polish Academy of Sciences and still remains its part.

Since 1828 the Library has been issuing its own publications, mainly scientific, but also educational and popularizing, e.g. reprints. Since 1998 our library has been also publishing electronic editions of historical materials. In 2002 our institution became a co-founder and since then it has been jointly creating a regional digital library – Wielkopolska Biblioteka Cyfrowa.